From its opening in 1928, the Franklin Street School was a symbol of segregation and separation. It stood as a reminder of a racial divide, even after school integration in 1948. For two decades the Center for Community Arts has worked to preserve, stabilize and restore the School. Now a collaborative effort by CCA and the City of Cape May aims to renew the School as a community center, offering meeting space, arts and history programs, exhibits, events and senior activities and services to bring together all the people of Cape Island. The exhibit will include photographs, artifacts and recorded oral and video histories to chronicle the history of the School, the initial efforts to preserve and rehabilitate the building, and plans for the building’s expansion and completion.